Scanning Electron Microscopy
Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM)
Townend Mineralogy Laboratory has access to a Philips SEM and ZEISS SEM field emission instrument.
It is particularly useful for:
- Locating very fine high atomic number minerals such as gold, uranium, tantalum, copper minerals in tails.
- Elemental maps of ore samples – For example Aluminium, Silicon and Iron elemental maps of iron ore (particularly oolitic) samples.
- High resolution images of rock matrices/pores at the sub-micron scale.
- Chemical identification of non-stoichiometric phases.
- Deleterious elements in ore minerals. For example vanadium and titanium in magnetite.
For further information about our Scanning Electron Microscopy services, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (08) 9248 1674.